THE OUTDOOR MEETING
It is said of the old time outdoor meetings like the brush arbor meetings and tent revivals that they are a just thing of the past and we don't need or want those things anymore. But its the modernized mechanical types that find themselves bound to their religious education who make such statements. I have found that the LORD blesses risk taking and boldness that's done on His behalf. One pompous pastor called it a circus but many Churches have been born and expanded out of these meetings. Back in the late 50's a great evangelist named Olver B Greene had a tent ministrey that saw thousands saved and hundreds of churches were started. When Greene's people left town the area was more spiritual and fired up for GOD. Today our churches are so dead and boring people are desparate to be stirred up for the LORD.
A Part of our ministry is to try and bring back the these old time outdoor meetings. We seek to achieve the following through these meetings:
1. find a well known or visible location with a existing structure like bandshell or park shelter or barn. If we are setting up the tent we need a level are about 80'x60' to set up the tent 60'x 40' (can comfortably hold 200). Please make sure we have decent parking we don't want to see people stuck in the mud if it rains (though it does make for good memories). Bathrooms and electric are a plus if available at your site.
2. If you haven't already now is a good time to get ahold of us so we can set a date for your meeting, generally several months ahead is better to get a suitable date for all and to make preparations. But don't let anything be a limitation if the LORD wants it He will fix the impossible.
3. Now we have a place and a date its time to consider preparations. If your situation requires permits these may take several months. I did a tent meeting in PA that took 4 permits, two of the permits did not come till 6 weeks after the meeting. If insurance is required normaly ministries are apart of most churches policies but can be obtained rather cheaply if that not available.
4. The next consideration is getting the word out and we like to get involved every way possible. The meeting can be advertised on tv radio and in newspapers. We have had newspapers do articles about the meeting especially if people are undfamiliar it lends credibility and makes more inviting to newcomers. Its good to have signs at the location as far advanced as possible and i like to get 18x24 plastic yard signs you can stick them everywhere couple weeks before the meeting. Send out letters to people that you know including friends that "used to be" or those you have witnesses to its crazy enough that they just might check it out. publicize on websites and facebook. And of course old faithful hit the streets with fliers and knocking doors, getting out and talking to people. The goal is that everyone around should know about the meeting even if they don't come because they will remember when you see them even years later.
5. In the last few days before the meeting the site must be prepared make sure everything is clean, level and the grass is cut short some put down wood chips like the old saw dust trail. get some people together and set up the tent, make a platform, put out chairs, check electric and bathrooms(rent portajohns if necessary).
6. Now everything is prepared(except the things we forgot) its time for meeting we will have goods gospel singing, some testimonies, prayer and then i will bring a message that will always close with an invitation for salavation and chance for people to come and get closer to the Lord.
7. When we've done everything that we can do the rest we leave to the LORD its His meeting and they are His people. Its our priviledge to serve and the end results belong to Him. But He never sends us away empty the joy and excitement goes with us and His recollection of our efforts when in His presence will be a great reward.
This is a general summary every meeting and community is different we'll work with you to have a meeting that will see souls brought to Christ, the Church revived and GOD honored
Everything accomplished for Christ started as a thought planted by the Holy Spirit, get in touch maybe we can be a blessing.